Early impressions of VR

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Early impressions of VR

Post by ayohell on 19/8/2017, 11:24

I built my PC last year with the intention of picking up VR before Xmas, probably Vive but the lack of decent content and the £800 investment stalled the purchase. Last month Oculus announced a 'Summer of Rift' and for a limited time the rift and two controllers with two sensors (for room scale play) are £399, so I had to didn't I ?

The equipment and comparisons to Vive...

The headset feels a little lighter than the Vive although I found both as comfortable to wear as the other. Detail/resolution seems better on the Oculus especially text being easier to read. Setting up the sensors was quite easy, placing them either side of the desk on top of speakers although this setup will need remapping most times as they are not permanently placed as you would with the Vive I would imagine, pluses and minuses in both camps there. I think the Vive would work in a larger play area but you would require a large empty room to take advantage of this. Both track well when turning through 360 and with your back to the sensors.
The controllers on the Oculus are much better than the rift, feeling very natural to use allowing you to make a fist and point just by changing your grip. Button layout is like an xbox controller split in two.

Games..
Typical that the day after getting this I move and not had much playtime and still have not set-up my gaming rig in a permanent position but tried out a few games..
Steam and oculus front end are similar, placing you in a room with windows and displays to choose your settings and games as well as offering a store front for games to purchase.
free offerings like the roller coaster are a fun introduction although I spent far too much time in Google Earth VR much like I did when I first tried Google earth all those years ago, the transition from 'earth' to street view though is seamless as you zoom around the globe swooping down on interesting places like you are on a super fast jet pack, hold up your left hand and a globe appears and with the right hand stick a pin in and there you are instantly. The moddling of the houses close up does not quite have the resolution of a PC screen, seems like a Trumpton/Camblewick green view but very accurate! Oh and a giant has stood on most cars :/

SuperHot VR... want to be Neo? dodging bullets taking down multiple enemies with their own guns before they know what hit them.. then this is the game. Eminently suited to VR.

Elite dangerous... This is the game that made me really want VR and to date unfortunately I have not had enough time to spend with it to give a decent review but from the little I have played it has impressed me more than I thought. Just loading up the game and standing next to a huge wheel of your buggy in a huge hanger is gob smackingly good looking around at all the detail. Then you load into a ship and have a good look around the cockpit, get up walk around your seat, ok so your character has no head but that's a minor detail :) Flying out of a space station and past the other ships gives you that almost real perspective that a screen just can not give and the head tracking is .. well real ! I can't wait to get into this more.

I'll bore you all with more impressions soon
ayohell
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 4403
XBL.. : ayohell
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Early impressions of VR

Post by Tattastic on 20/8/2017, 18:24

I was going to the Oculus the other month while the offer was on. But, with already having the Vive I decided I would just get the ReVive program for Steam VR, that allows games to be loaded from the Oculus store and played via the Vive.

I will eventually get Robo ReCall and The Climb for it from the Oculus store. Just have to much on my plate at the moment in regards to reviewing some games, and then EGX next month.

You made a good choice with Superhot VR I loved every minute I played on the Vive. One of the best games I've played for the VR across all the games I have on Vive and PSVR.

My video of me playing Superhot...

And my reivew: http://tattasticgamer.com/vr-gaming/superhot-vr-review/
Tattastic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 581
XBL.. : Tattastic
PSN.. : Tattastic
Registration date : 2014-05-24

http://www.tattasticgamer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ayohell on 20/8/2017, 22:14

Nice video and review Tatt, Quite a physical game that one, I did punch my monitor over first run through haha shows great use of the VR platform!
I have been putting a little more time into Elite Dangerous, sat down relaxed and using the controls I am used to on the hotas joystick and throttle, I have hundreds of hours in this game and yet it all looks new again and so damn big and beautiful! Flying into a station around other ships, through an asteroid field or taking your buggy out on a planet zooming around is so close to being there.
Shame you can't really capture it on video or most would have it I think, I was trying to explain it to a friend the other night and told him you are no longer watching and guiding your character in the game for you .. you now are the character playing in the game.
ayohell
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 4403
XBL.. : ayohell
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattastic on 1/9/2017, 16:31

You want to try this one on @ayohell its only cheap below £5 I believe, I got it in the sales for just over £4
Tattastic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 581
XBL.. : Tattastic
PSN.. : Tattastic
Registration date : 2014-05-24

http://www.tattasticgamer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content