Drummers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drummers?

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 7/12/2014, 00:29

Any drummers? I'm not, always wished I learned an instrument. My son has gotten into drums.

Was going to pick up a beginners set for him for XMas, but his teacher said to look into a good name used set. Got him a Pearl Export series set used for $400, which included the cymbals. From what I read most sets dont come with them and they are pretty expensive too.

USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 3259
XBL.. : AWUGOD
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Drummers?

Post by wezbloke on 7/12/2014, 11:40

I played when I was younger, before family life etc. Pearl are always a good choice, well built and will last a long time if not mistreated. I ended up with a Yamaha set in the end, they also make very good kits.

One of the most important things you can get him other than the kit is somewhere to practice regularly without people complaining!

Check this site out, gear like this can be a life saver http://www.lidwishsoulutions.com/
wezbloke
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 1417
XBL.. : wezbloke
PSN.. : wezbloke
Registration date : 2011-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyman on 7/12/2014, 12:35

advise getting lessons from a good teacher
Psyman
ARC 24
ARC 24

Male Number of posts : 2984
XBL.. : Psyman222
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 7/12/2014, 16:57

wezbloke wrote:I played when I was younger, before family life etc. Pearl are always a good choice, well built and will last a long time if not mistreated. I ended up with a Yamaha set in the end, they also make very good kits.

One of the most important things you can get him other than the kit is somewhere to practice regularly without people complaining!

Check this site out, gear like this can be a life saver http://www.lidwishsoulutions.com/

Thanks for the link, I'll check those out. We set him up a spot out in the garage for now...we'll still be able to hear him, but that should help for now. Hopefully when we move again in a year, we can find a house with an extra room (or have one set up) for sound deadening.

Psyman wrote:advise getting lessons from a good teacher

He goes to this place out here in California called School of Rock, I believe they are adapted from the Jack Black movie of the same name. They seem good so far. I believe his teacher has toured with a couple of big named bands...not that that really says anything about his teaching ability. We shall see.
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ayohell on 7/12/2014, 18:03

it could be worse... he could want to be a musician 1
ayohell
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 4404
XBL.. : ayohell
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 8/12/2014, 05:34

ayohell wrote:it could be worse... he could want to be a musician 1

True, although he is only 10, he has muttered wanting to be a Marine...which always gets me a look from the wife. Not that we'd be against him joining the service, but I'd hope for him to atleast try out college first.

I think part of the music lessons was us wanting to make him a little more well rounded, but another part is that here in Cali we opted to home school him. In order to try and not make him like Home School Harold (Google it, funny memes) we try to get him into a lot of extracurriculars.
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top