Reason the 360 is gathering dust.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reason the 360 is gathering dust.

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 00:48

Hello ARC people.

As the small number of ARC'ers with whom I game with on a regular basis may have noticed, I have not been online recently. In fact, since I have been back from my holidays I have gamed online twice! I also got bored of LA Noire really quickly and have given it to my brother, leaving me with only Black Ops and Burnout Paradise along with my arcade games.

The reasons for this are two-fold. Number one being I unfortunately lost my job in March after ten years and after a couple of months of unemployment I started to get really bored of sitting and playing 360 daily and not doing much else, and secondly I rediscovered my mojo for photography which I had let lapse over those ten years of hard graft.

So, if anybody is interested in having a wee look at what I have been spending my time on, pop over to my flickr stream, www.flickr.com/photos/norters/. At the moment I am still getting to grips with all the equipment I have spent the money from selling my games on. A lot has changed in the ten years I had been away. Also, a lot has stayed the same, which is nice! If I fail to find work over the next couple of months, the summer will involve quite an elaborate project which I will be undertaking in collaboration with a friend of mine.

Thanks for reading, and maybe having a wee shufty at some of my stuff. Maybe one night this week I'll fire up Black Ops and see if I can get a game in with a few of you!

Until then,

Nick.

Last edited by norters on 21/6/2011, 00:56; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Reason the 360 is gathering dust.

Post by SamSevenFive on 21/6/2011, 00:54

The link doesn't work Norters Neutral
SamSevenFive
ARC 18
ARC 18

Male Number of posts : 1221
XBL.. : Sam Seven Five
PSN.. : SamSevenFive
Registration date : 2010-11-21

http://www.youtube.com/user/SamSevenFive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 00:57

Whoops!

It should now 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 01:46

I Loved the pics!!!!!! Spent a whole hour looking at them!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 02:30

Photos looked great, maybe well see you a little more when all the new game releases start coming in September?

Back to top Go down

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 21/6/2011, 04:40

Looking good Norters!!! What you shootin with?
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 3259
XBL.. : AWUGOD
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 08:09

Some nice shots there Norters, keep up the good work

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 08:18

I liked the four lads pic. Slightly religious with the bonkers sign next to it

Back to top Go down

Post by SixenSix on 21/6/2011, 10:51

Great to see loads of good pics from Liverpool.........+ Birkenhead in the background in the ones taken at the pier cheers

SixenSix
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 19335
XBL.. : SixenSix
Registration date : 2008-10-15

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 11:16

USMCWeatherMan wrote:Looking good Norters!!! What you shootin with?

Main camera is a Nikon D3100 entry level DSLR. For the candid people shots I use a Nikon Coolpix S3100. Shoot film as well and have been gathering a collection of cameras off of the Ebay. Most used are a 70s Olympus Trip (my favourite), and two Voigtlander cameras from the 50s/60s that work like a charm after all these years.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Neil, I did take a trip to New Brighton but as soon as I got my big camera out all the locals started looking at me like I was some kind of Wizard and chased me out of town with pitchforks and torches lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by SixenSix on 21/6/2011, 11:21

norters wrote:

Main camera is a Nikon D3100 entry level DSLR. For the candid people shots I use a Nikon Coolpix S3100. Shoot film as well and have been gathering a collection of cameras off of the Ebay. Most used are a 70s Olympus Trip (my favourite), and two Voigtlander cameras from the 50s/60s that work like a charm after all these years.

Neil, I did take a trip to New Brighton but as soon as I got my big camera out all the locals started looking at me like I was some kind of Wizard and chased me out of town with pitchforks and torches lol!
Why don't I find that hard to believe 1 1

SixenSix
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 19335
XBL.. : SixenSix
Registration date : 2008-10-15

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by knikki91 on 21/6/2011, 11:39

Nice collection of Urban landscapes there Norters.

I would either use gently levels/ curves in photoshop to get more detail out of those great clouds or see about getting some ND grads Very Happy

I shall keep and eye out for you in the Film section, which reminds me I must upload more of mine as well.
knikki91
ARC 16
ARC 16

Male Number of posts : 851
XBL.. : knikki91
PSN.. : xKnikki91x
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 11:43

Even though I have Elements, I am not that great with it and to be honest, I prefer everything to be straight out of the camera! When I started out all those years ago there was no Photoshop lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by JustMeD on 21/6/2011, 12:01

Great selection of photos Norters. Very Happy Great to see you have re-ignited an old passion too.
JustMeD
ARC 23
ARC 23

Male Number of posts : 2535
XBL.. : JustMeD
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.dfined.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SCAT on 21/6/2011, 17:37

norters wrote:

being naked at the time didnt help you m8 Wink

nice pics cheers
SCAT
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 6532
XBL.. : DoD Tickles
Registration date : 2008-12-18

http://www.twitch.tv/scatman_1878

Back to top Go down

Post by knikki91 on 21/6/2011, 17:42

norters wrote:When I started out all those years ago there was no Photoshop lol!

Same here I always try to get it right on the camera first. I've just finished a course doing Darkroom again and it was a damn sight harder then I remember some 25 years ago study lol!
knikki91
ARC 16
ARC 16

Male Number of posts : 851
XBL.. : knikki91
PSN.. : xKnikki91x
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 17:44

Good work Nick!

Back to top Go down

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 21/6/2011, 17:51

norters wrote:

Cool! I picked up a Nikon D3000 about 6 months back...it was definitely a step up from my Sony Cybershot point and shoot! Thing takes mint pics!
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 3259
XBL.. : AWUGOD
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by heavytread on 21/6/2011, 18:06

Norters I really like those shots in Paris particularly the ones that look like SX70 Polaroid, they are brill. I would say though that there are far to may shots and that perhaps you should weed out some of the weaker ones as they dilute the good stuff. The black and white street portraits are great and it's obvious that you are getting much more confident in shooting strangers. Have a look at the work of English photographer Tony Ray Jones who was photographing in the street in the 60's and 70's also Martin Parr who is more contemporary and did a book on New Brighton. Also American Joel Meyerowitz for some amazing colour street photography, in fact all of Meyerowitz's work is pretty special. cheers

Raptr Forum Signature

heavytread
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 9497
XBL.. : heavytread
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 18:10

Meyerowitz is my favourite by a long chalk. I love his work and have learned a lot through watching videos of him. I do have a problem with quality control! This much I do know! My friend is always nagging me for putting so many photos up on Flickr! I do put less up now than when I started though lol!

Working with film is also teaching me a lot whereas with digital I can snap thousands of pics a day and not worry about cost, with film I tend to take my time and compose better.

Thank you for looking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21/6/2011, 18:52

norters wrote:Even though I have Elements, I am not that great with it and to be honest, I prefer everything to be straight out of the camera! When I started out all those years ago there was no Photoshop lol!

+1 Norters, I used to be on flickr as well but just found almost every photo I looked at was photoshopped so much you wouldn't recognise the original, lost me passion for snappin. Hope you stick with it and enjoy 1

Back to top Go down

Post by heavytread on 21/6/2011, 23:17

You're right about the over use of Photoshop, it's a bit like the old days of Cokin Filter Madness, where everything was shot with a tobacco or purple sky! I'm not saying PS doesn't have it's place, I use it every day, but it should not be relied upon to make the mundane more interesting. I suppose it's a bit like the old black and white printing techniques of dodging and burning which when used correctly could enhance and give a more "finished" result than a straight print. Ultimately a good photographer has to "see" the image before taking the picture and I really believe that shooting black and white film really enhances that skill by not only making you think in black and white but in being more selective about your subject matter. I remember back in college getting hold of a 35mm Nikon fitted with a 250 frame back and motor drive and spent a couple of hours shooting anything that got in my way (this camera sounded brilliant when it was at full throttle) and then it took a day making contacts from the negs which were all *****... lol!

Raptr Forum Signature

heavytread
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 9497
XBL.. : heavytread
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Farnswaller on 22/6/2011, 13:18

nice pics norters

heavy we know why you use PS, you dirty dirty man you. i mean putting sixes head on all those ladies bodies!

To tea bag or not tea bag– that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The noscoping and douche bags of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of asshats
And, by opposing, end them

ARC Awards: Level 5 - 113 achievo's - 957 G's
Lord Farnswaller
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 14311
XBL.. : LordFarnswaller
Registration date : 2008-10-16