Genealogy Research

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Genealogy Research

Post by MCE 81 on 15/12/2010, 18:01

Ever since we got Kinect, the wife has been monopolizing the XBOX Mad So, I haven't been online for awhile. To keep myself busy I have been doing some genealogy research. It's kind of fun to find out where your family came from and what they did. Yesterday I found out that my 11th Great Grandfather is Sir William Harris. So, for all you English lads, at least one branch of my family comes from England. Cool What I was able to find out about William Harris is that he was born in 1556, died in 1616, and was Knighted by King James I on July 23, 1603. He was also the High Sheriff of Essex County. From what I can tell This was the last generation of my family in England before they came to the Colonies

If any of you who live in England have nothing better to do and are so inclined, I would appreciate any additional information you may be able to dig up. I've pretty much exhausted my resources and was hoping there may be resources available in England that I'm not aware of.
MCE 81
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 1978
XBL.. : MCE 81
Registration date : 2008-10-21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpfHXJpMzg

Back to top Go down

Re: Genealogy Research

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 15/12/2010, 18:22

Years ago my brother paid for one of those professional geneology searches. Came with a huge book going all the way back to the Middle Ages (most of my ancestors were from England). Had the coat of arms for them and what not.

Was pretty cool, havent really tried to do anything recently, that was all back before the internet was big. Probably could dig up more info on my own now....but COD-BO takes up all my free time cheers
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 3259
XBL.. : AWUGOD
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by mutantblues on 15/12/2010, 18:48

I've never looked into my family but I have tried to find out stuff about WW1 soldiers, I collect photos of them and then try to get a bit of info about them.

I think you got lucky having a noble as a relative because most people can't trace things back that far, but with a famous name its a bit more easy.

I'd be happy to put my research skills at your service, altough that would be mostly internet based I guess so I might just be going over what you already know. I see he has his own Wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Harris_(Tudor_person)
Which is handy as it gives references and books etc.

Have you tried the Uk National Archives? they have a large amount of records online.

mutantblues
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 5775
XBL.. : Mutant Blues

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/geekantiquesshop

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15/12/2010, 19:06

You've done well to get that far back up the family tree mce ,my good lady started tracing hers back a while ago , did pretty well but it certainly took some reseaching .
Any tips on the ww1 research would be helpful mutant wife's great grandad was in the great war (killed June 1916) have been to his grave in France a few times but tracing more information about him has proved difficult so far .

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 15/12/2010, 20:46

Found this so far on Sir William Harris MC:

http://www.thevalleyfamily.org/getperson.php?personID=I5659106883&tree=fitzvalley

http://www.patch.net/related/harris.html

This was his Will, it says Sir William Herris but back then that was how it was written on good old Olde English:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~westharris/Sir_William_will.html

This is a Picture of him and his trusty blade:

http://sites.google.com/site/harrisbrewing/sirwilliampnt.JPG

ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 4388
XBL.. : ARC Fireangel
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 15/12/2010, 20:48

Another picture of his blade:

ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 15/12/2010, 20:50

ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 15/12/2010, 20:51

ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 15/12/2010, 20:53

And this has picture's of some of your family and were they are buried:

http://sites.google.com/site/harrisbrewing/picturegallery

ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 15/12/2010, 21:04

Also found out that the Harris name ( or Herris ) originally came from wales:

http://www.txbobsc.com/dl/Harris-Cherry%20Book%20as%20PDF/Pt%201%20Chap%201%20Harris-Winn%20Lin.pdf

Looks like you and Six might share the same hobbies with our four legged freinds lol!

ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mutantblues on 15/12/2010, 21:55

ARC Fireangel wrote:And this has picture's of some of your family and were they are buried:

http://sites.google.com/site/harrisbrewing/picturegallery

Yeah thats pretty much what I was finding as well with the trusty google search. This site aslo has some good info or other family members and there is a contact for the guy who runs it. Theres quite a bit of info on the guy to be found online.

mutantblues
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by SirReal Madrid on 15/12/2010, 22:00

My great great grandfather was King Philip the 2nd
SirReal Madrid
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 6555
XBL.. : III+N7+III
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by mutantblues on 15/12/2010, 22:18

dg45 wrote:You've done well to get that far back up the family tree mce ,my good lady started tracing hers back a while ago , did pretty well but it certainly took some reseaching .
Any tips on the ww1 research would be helpful mutant wife's great grandad was in the great war (killed June 1916) have been to his grave in France a few times but tracing more information about him has proved difficult so far .

Finding out about soldiers is a bit hit and miss, most of the records where destroyed by bombing in WW2 for example. But as its a bit easier when they were killed, sadly. If you went to his grave then you should have his rank, number and regiment, if not you can look them up on the war graves comisson. These are the bits of info that you need to use to find out about him.

Again the National Archives is a good place to look. They have the medal cards online so you might find some info there. They also have some war diaries of units which can give you info on what actions they took part in. Not everything they have is online yet and it will cost a few £ for every bit of info you want to get but if your lucky it can be a big help.

Local newspapers can be a good source as well, if you know where he lived as can the local library. The cenus records or enlistment papers can give you a clue to where he might of lived. And some of the online ancestry sites are pretty good as well.

Don't over look just googling him as well, you never know what comes up. You might have to do various searchs using all kinds of variatons of the data you have to get anything.

As I said you might find lots you might find nothing.

mutantblues
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by MCE 81 on 16/12/2010, 12:27

Thanks for the info gents. Very Happy This should keep me busy for awhile. I have traced one branch of the family back to 1090 (27th Great Great Grandfather) which looks like it is about as far back as I can go. Now the fun starts, finding out what I can about the people, so every bit of information found helps. Very Happy
Now if I can only get the wife off of the XBox I might be able to get some games in. Either that or I'm going to have to get another XBox.
MCE 81
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Farnswaller on 16/12/2010, 13:06

MCE 81 (Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:01 pm) wrote:Ever since we got Kinect, the wife has been monopolizing the XBOX Mad So, I haven't been online for awhile. To keep myself busy I have been doing some genealogy research. It's kind of fun to find out where your family came from and what they did. Yesterday I found out that my 11th Great Grandfather is Sir William Harris. So, for all you English lads, at least one branch of my family comes from England. Cool What I was able to find out about William Harris is that he was born in 1556, died in 1616, and was Knighted by King James I on July 23, 1603. He was also the High Sheriff of Essex County. From what I can tell This was the last generation of my family in England before they came to the Colonies

If any of you who live in England have nothing better to do and are so inclined, I would appreciate any additional information you may be able to dig up. I've pretty much exhausted my resources and was hoping there may be resources available in England that I'm not aware of.

I'll pass this onto my dad, he is well into it and has our family tree going back ages and ages and ages. Also done wives family, sister in laws family so family tree is size of our house.
any info I'll forward to you.

Also DG the old man has access to the database thing for WW1 dead, he managed to get alsort plus he even got my great grandfathers service records.

To tea bag or not tea bag– that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The noscoping and douche bags of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of asshats
And, by opposing, end them

ARC Awards: Level 5 - 113 achievo's - 957 G's
Lord Farnswaller
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 14311
XBL.. : LordFarnswaller
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/12/2010, 13:27

Will put some details that we have up later Paul .
Will have to address mce as 'sir mce' from now on ...Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Farnswaller on 16/12/2010, 13:30

yeah I've emailed me dad to see what he has, he goes on allsorts of different websites which do the geneology stuff

Lord Farnswaller
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by MCE 81 on 17/12/2010, 12:31

dg45 wrote:Will put some details that we have up later Paul .
Will have to address mce as 'sir mce' from now on ...Lol

Nice ring to it. lol!
MCE 81
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mutantblues on 17/12/2010, 13:03

Its seems that not only is MC realsted to a man who killed lots of Irish but another man who killed the King. Sir Harris's son in law was Sir Henry Mildmay who was one of the people who decided to kill Charles I.
No wonder the family moved to the US Razz

mutantblues
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ARC Fireangel on 17/12/2010, 13:22

mutantblues wrote:Its seems that not only is MC realsted to a man who killed lots of Irish but another man who killed the King. Sir Harris's son in law was Sir Henry Mildmay who was one of the people who decided to kill Charles I.

Shocked off with his head the Traitor 1 Very Happy

ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Farnswaller on 17/12/2010, 15:42

MCE mate PM me your email address, my dad has 12 pages of stuff on your ancestor!

also if people want info on WW1 relatives who passed on if you have their full name, regiment and if possible serial number he'll have a look

Lord Farnswaller
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by MCE 81 on 17/12/2010, 20:05

ARC Fireangel wrote:
mutantblues wrote:Its seems that not only is MC realsted to a man who killed lots of Irish but another man who killed the King. Sir Harris's son in law was Sir Henry Mildmay who was one of the people who decided to kill Charles I.

Shocked off with his head the Traitor 1 Very Happy

Ahhh. So I come from a long line of troublemakers. Shocked That explains my attitude. lol!
MCE 81
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17/12/2010, 22:58

My family can be summed up pretty well

My brother is a fu5king tw4t, his b1tch of a wife is as devious as the devil and my mother is a spineless cow.

Sorry for the rather aggressive rant but my disgust at my family is still very raw after several months after a huge family bust up that their true colours came out and some disturbing treatment came to the surface.

Sorry, once again but families bring out the best or worst in people, in my case the very, very worst that you could imagine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum